Assertion for Pupil Rights and Curriculum Review
Please fill out the form below the sample email. Be sure you have the correct name and email of your school principal. The submit button will email you and the school a copy of the Assertion.
Dear [PRINCIPAL NAME]:
Under the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment, 20 U.S.C § 1232h, I, [REQUESTER NAME] request the following:
- Immediate access to all curriculum material, including teacher training materials, used in [SPECIFY CLASS]
- Copies of all surveys and related documents given to my child during the past school year, and copies of the opt-out notifications you provided to parents, asking for information concerning or related to —
- political affiliations or beliefs of the student or the student’s parent;
- mental or psychological problems of the student or the student’s family;
- sex behavior or attitudes;
- illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
- critical appraisals of other individuals with whom respondents have close family relationships (this should include all material related to “white privilege,” “internal bias,” “belonging,” all “equity” programs/initiatives, “diversity,” “inclusion,” “social-justice” or “anti-racism”);
- legally recognized privileged or analogous relationships, such as those of lawyers, physicians, and ministers;
- religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or student’s parent; or
- income (other than that required by law to determine eligibility for participation in a program or for receiving financial assistance under such program).
If schools do not fulfill their obligations onder the PPRA, parents can report violations to the U.S. Department of Education using the form provided at https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/file-a-complaint.