Subversive Content - Opt-Out
This notification shall be placed in my child’s permanent file and be provided to all people offering instruction to my child during the school year.
It has come to my attention that many entities within public education and the community at large, are pushing an agenda into schools that diminishes the relationship between parent and child, abolishes liberty and personal responsibility, and silences the free exercise of individual conscience. Specifically, there are groups seeking to divide our nation according to oppressed and oppressor classes, a concept which is a prominent feature of Marxist ideology.
Therefore, please be informed that:
“Under both the United States Constitution and the constitution of the state of Utah, a parent possesses a fundamental liberty interest in the care, custody, and management of the parents’ children” (Utah Code § 62A-4a-201).
The state of Utah recognizes that parents have the “right, obligation, responsibility, and authority to raise, manage, train, educate, provide and care for, and reasonably discipline their children” (Utah Code § 62A-4a-201) and “supports parents through a responsive educational system that guarantees local school communities autonomy, flexibility, and client choice” (Utah Code § 53E-2-301-3).
In the implementation of “all policies, programs, and responsibilities, the Utah Legislature, the state school board, local school boards, and charter school governing boards” are required to “respect, protect, and further the interests of parents in their children’s public education”(Utah Code § 53E-2-201-2(a)). Furthermore “political, atheistic, sectarian, religious, or denominational doctrine may not be taught in the public schools except as provided in Section 53G-10-202” (Utah Code § 53G-10-402).
The Utah Legislature envisions an educated citizenry that “encompasses foundational principles including strong moral and social values, and loyalty and commitment to constitutional government” (Utah Code § 53E-2-301).
As a parent of a child or children in this school, please be advised that:
My child/children will not participate in any activities, receive literature, read text books or literary works, view videos, attend assemblies, take assessments, or participate in any activities that disparage the United States Constitution, any of the citizen rights guaranteed by the First Amendment, capitalism, our constitutional republic, law enforcement, the Founding Fathers of the United States of America, or the founders of Utah.
I am requesting that none of the following be used in the education of my child/children:
- Broad negative generalizations about race and privilege.
- Ideology of an oppressed and oppressor based on characteristics or background not on individual actions. Education should allow for diverse thinking including various religious and ideological groups.
- Shaming children in any way based on items listed in Utah Code § 53E-9-203. For example, environmentalism that diminishes human life or disparages family size.
- Any theory of the history of the United States of America or the state of Utah that states a need for fundamental transformation of our constitutions.
- Diminishing self-government and personal responsibility in favor of collectivism
- Activities that focus on victim ideology and seek to divide U.S. citizens, communities, or families and pit one group against another (e.g., heterosexism, classism, ableism, racism, Marxism, intersectionality, white fragility, antiracism, identity grouping, privilege, etc…).
Furthermore, any literature, curriculum materials, assemblies, guest speakers, other media or communication made available from or through political /advocacy groups — especially those associated with “Critical Theory” or “Critical Race Theory” should not be used in the public school environment. (e.g. Black Lives Matter Inc., The 1619 Project, Comprehensive Sexuality Education, civics lessons focused on activism etc…)
In accordance with the parameters stated in Utah law, none of the below topics are to be addressed in the curriculum as a psychological or psychiatric examination, test, or treatment, or any survey, analysis, or evaluation of children in the state of Utah without written parental consent (Utah Code § 53E-9-203).
- “political philosophies;…
- sexual behavior, orientation, or attitudes;
- illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
- critical appraisals of individuals with whom the student or family member has close family relationships;
- religious affiliations or beliefs;…”
Educators are required to “comply with all federal, state, and local laws” (R277-217-3) which includes the following prohibited conduct (R277-217-2-23) “exclude a student from participating in any program, deny or grant any benefit to a student, or encourage a student to develop a prejudice on the basis of: (a) race; (b) color; (c) creed; (d) sex; (e) national origin; (f) marital status; (g) political or religious belief; (h) physical or mental condition; (i) family, social, or cultural background; (j) sexual orientation; or (k) gender identification;” LEA’s are required to report violations to the UPPAC (R277-217-5).
I give full consent for the below items to be integrated into the education of my child/children as stated in Utah law (Utah Code § 53-10-204).
- “respect for and an understanding of the Declaration of Independence and the constitutions of the United States and of the state of Utah;
- Utah history, including territorial and preterritorial development to the present;
- the essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system;
- respect for parents, home, and family;
- the dignity and necessity of honest labor;
- and other skills, habits, and qualities of character which will promote an upright and desirable citizenry and better prepare students to recognize and accept responsibility for preserving and defending the blessings of liberty inherited from prior generations and secured by the Constitution.”
Foundational changes being called for by a few will result in the destruction of law and order, healthy families, peace and prosperity, private property rights, and life. This is evidenced by the riots and other alarming behavior currently taking place around our nation. It is a lawful mandate, and my expectation, that public schools preserve a lawful citizenry that will carry forward the legacy and freedom ideals of this great nation.
Signature: ____________________________ Child(ren): ________________________________________
(Disclaimer: This document is intended to help parents and educators reference key parental rights laws and is not to be construed as legal counsel.)